Day 8 - Computer Fundamentals 101
Today, I had to stay back late at school (no, I didn't get detention, if that's what you're thinking). The school I have been placed as has an 'after school program', which caters for VCAL students (i.e. VCAL is an alternate program for students who choose not to do the VCE; the major difference being that it's more 'hands-on' learning, where destinations for these students are mainly TAFE and apprenticeship courses).Anyway, I was at school this afternoon from 3:30 - 5:00 supervising the VCAL students (a mix of Year 10's, 11's and 12's!) There were 20 all up. It was indeed a hands on class as we spent a large proportion of that time pulling apart the guts of a computer and putting it all back together. Students then had to test that everything was put back in it's proper place by connecting the hard drive to a monitor to ensure that it booted up correctly.
It certainly brought back memories of Computer Fundamentals 101 in uni. I must admit I only just vaguely remembered the names of the bits and pieces that plug into a computer. (I really should've paid more attention when my hubby was building his PC! I pretty much had to give myself a crash course online during recess and lunchtime to recall all the part names (i.e. videocard slots, motherboard, modem, sound card, RAM, CPU, yadda yadda yadda). Just so I could have some clue during the class time. heheh
The girls weren't so enthused about the whole task, but the boys were acting as if Santa had given them a present to unwrap. The reaction by the girls and guys were so very different, it was quite funny. The girls roll their eyes synonymously and the guys punch fists in the air as if they'd just won the lottery.
To be honest, my reaction inside was more like the girls, (pulling apart PC's and putting them back together is about as much fun as taking the rubbish out on Tuesday nights and hauling the wheelie bin back in) --- which of course, I don't really do, (and I have my hubby to thank for that!) ...my point being, I couldn't show my true colours now, could I? Being Missus Tan the I.T. Teacher and all..... :o)

2 Comments:
See, your IBM training has paid off by knowing the components of a PC!
Maria, some great reading here and sincerely appreciate your insight and passion in this area. Brings back memories of me being a real sh*t at school.
Keep the experiences coming.
YAA is still going strong.
Justin
Hey Justin! Thanks for popping by to say hi and for your comments.
Despite your acknowledgement that you were a little bugger at school, you still turned out OK. That gives me good reason to have hope, when it comes to the kids at this school. :o)
Anyway, great to hear from you and good to hear that the wheels are still in motion with the Yacintosh team. Hope to see you all at the trade expo on 27/08! - MT.
Post a Comment
<< Home