5 Reasons About Why I'm Doing Teaching
If I had $1.00 for every time a person asked me "Why are you doing a teaching course?, or, "What on earth are you doing you doing?!!" ;-) I would have a very healthy bank account. :0) heheSeriously though, the public perception of teaching isn't exactly rosy. There is already a shortage of teachers in Australia, yet intensifying the negative image of the teaching profession are the media who propagate damaging, ludicrous and sometimes, blatantly inaccurate messages about education and teaching. It is rare to see in the media a balanced and complete viewpoint about teaching and education. Quite often it's just a bit of 'mudslinging' about 'how the schools/teachers have failed our kids'. I can see (working with some of the veteran teachers at the school I'm at) how all this barrage of attacks upon education (especially public education) can cause lowe morale and cynicism amongst teachers.
So, the question "why teach," is particularly relevant today, for me (and maybe for you) as this country faces the prospect of a severe national teacher shortage. Obviously, compensation and working conditions must be addressed, but even then, even if those issues are 'fixed', one might ask, "why teach."
So what’s it really like to be a teacher these days anyway? What is it like to have the responsibility of educating classes of 15 - 25 students in secondary school and to take those kids through the labyrinth journey of an academic year? Is it possible to gain anything from it or is it all give, give, give to kids that don’t always want to receive?
The point of this blog (and yes, I'm getting to it!! :-) is to highlight the 'positive' side of teaching for me personally. I certainly don't have all the answers about the ins/outs, pros/cons about teaching, so this is really just my $0.02' worth.
(I might add though, I actually don't think that everyone is cut out for teaching.) :-)
So, to appease the minds of those who are still puzzled as to why I've taken the plunge in this exciting world of education & teaching, I've posted below the top 10 reasons why I am doing what I am doing:
1) I believe that teaching (at any level) is a unique opportunity to make a positive difference in the lives of others. I agree with Henry Adams (a journalist/novelist) who pointed out that in teaching 'you can affect eternity because it is impossible to tell where your influence stops'.
In other words, I think that teaching is one of those roles that can really make a significant difference in the lives of individuals and the community as a whole. After all, an educated citizen contributes to the overall wellbeing of our societies and our nation.
2) I believe it is important to help children and young men and women acquire the knowledge, skills, and dispositions that are essential to productive and satisfying lives.
3) I am passionate about learing, working with young people, and I.T. Teaching is great outlet for my own committment to lifelong learning and to an ongoing study of this subject.
4) I see the value in each child and that they all have a purpose and a plan for their lives. I want to be a catalyst for growth and change in the lives of students. If that means having to persist when confronted by their recalcitrance or indifference, then so be it.
5) Teaching is a job that ties in really well with family life/motherhood. Your school holidays can always be in alignment with your kids which is great! :o) Plus, enrol your kids in a private school and I've heard you get some nifty discounts with school fees! ;-) hehehe
So there you have it ladies and gentlemen....
Teaching, from what I've witnessed, challenging, it's exciting, and there's never a dull moment in teaching. I'll be the first to admit that the material gains in teaching are not great. (I don't think you go into teaching for the money!! :o), but ask any teacher why they do what they do and I think most would say it's for the buzz that comes from knowing you've really made an impact in someone's life in a real positive way.

1 Comments:
Dear Nhuvy,
Trust a Test Manager to pick that one up!!!! :-P I was just testing you of course! ;-) hehehehe
Thanks for dropping by! Hope all is well with you! :-)
P.S. Your pressie is running late, but it's on it's way! :-) Maria. xoxo
Post a Comment
<< Home