Day 2 - The Class From Hell

It's only my second day and I think I have already identified the class from hell.
If i'm honest enough, they are really just a bunch of psychos. BUT deep down inside, like good 'ol Whitney Houston, I honestly do believe the children are our future. That we should teach them well, and let them lead the way and maybe even show them all the beauty they possess inside. :-)
Today, I witnessed one particular class that just bounced off the walls as if they've each just ingested 1 Litre of undiluted red cordial. It's just ludicrous. As part of my 'tour' around the school campus, I walked into this classroom with my supervising teacher to discover a place where anarchy reigned supreme.
The teacher didn't appear to be fazed by the fact that 2 kids were climbing out of the window trying to get out, another 2 kids were playing baseball with a ruler and scrunched up pieces of paper. All the while, the rest of the students were either walking around the classroom aimlessly or just sitting at their desks scribbling 'I love Jesse McCartney' on their textbooks.
Yet again I find myself thinking, "gee whiz, this wasn't in the curriculum of my grad.dip ed. course! "
I do feel strongly that the days ahead will be a great challenge as it became more obvious today that discipline is such a huge issue in this school. Part of me wishes that I had been given an 'easier' more 'polished' school to attend, although another part of me is really quite grateful to have been given this opportunity to teach at what is not your standard, run-of-the-mill secondary college.
I think this placement will be filled with many rich experiences of classroom management issues. If anything, I really do think this placement is going to be great as it will enable me to hone all those classroom management techniquest that otherwise would remain unapplied as 'theories' in my textbooks.
Well ....we'll just have to see how it goes, won't we?

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home