Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Day 3 - Formula for Successful Schools - Ideas Anyone?


Today during recess, a guest speaker gave a speech to the teaching staff. The speaker was a Dean from the Queensland University of Technology and I thought he he did a great job in delivering a motivational speech to the group.

This speech was made by the Dean in order to address the huge disparity between the perceptions of students and parents versus the teachers, with regards to the effectiveness and quality of education being provided by this school. That is, parents and students have expressed (through a recent survey), a high level of support towards the school, yet the teachers don't agree and are generally negative.

The Dean empahsised that the staff really need to get past their negative frame of mind, and move to a point of identifying the things that are working, and what's not, so they can pool their resources together and work towards improving the schools performance. From what I gathered, the main thrust of his speech was that schools must be able to develop their own particular strengths, teaching styles, institutional ethos and activities if they are to match parents' values and children's educational needs and strengths. The effectiveness of a school is really dependent upon collaboration - taking a 'whole school approach' - and not so much just brilliant individual teaching.

Anyway, I can only imagine what must've been going through the heads of all those teaching veterans, thinking about how idealistic this Dean fella must've been. But quite frankly, I also agree with him. Idealistic as his viewpoints may be, I think the Dean Mr. Whats-his-name really hit the nail on the head with his points about how should pursue after success and excellence. Despite the adversities that currently face the school (i.e. it is attended by a significant number of students who come from a low socio-economic status).

I think that although there are a great deal of factors that are beyond my control as a teacher, there are still many aspects that are in my capacity to influence. Attitude, I believe, is a great starting point.

I guess whatever path I take in life, surely the last thing I want to find myself as is one of those 'crusty', 'grumpy', 'whingey' people that can't seem to see the silver lining in the cloud. Nothing makes these folk happy, no matter how hard they try. And I've learnt you don't have to be 'old'-old to be like that. :-)

Anyway, going a bit off topic here...but I guess what I've learnt after today's observations, is that I think many people in this world mistakenly believe that their attitude is set, when really it's not. At the end of the day, we all choose what kind of attitudes we possess.

Personally, meethinks an attitude of gratitude goes a long way. Plus, having the mindset that "all's well that ends well" has worked pretty well for me too.

Anyway, I shall leave it at that for now. Welcome to share any thoughts you may have. G'nite!

2 Comments:

At 10:43 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Aissa,

Congratulations on your decision to take this path at this stage in your life.

Many many moons ago when I attended school, we had a subject called GMRC, or Good Manners and Right Conduct. No frills and very basic lessons on interpesonal relationships but worked very well in my time.

It used to be that coming from disadvantaged socio economic background was a source of great inspiration to strive harder. They used to make heroes out of the life stories of achievers not only in sports but also in academia.

Might be a great idea to bring back the basics. My 2 cents' worth.

The Old Blogger

 
At 6:21 pm, Blogger Mama Maria said...

Thanks for dropping by and sharing your comment, Old Blogger!

I agree with you 100% about going back to basics - it really is about having a collaborative agreement with the class on things such as:

1) basic and non-negotiable rights
2) basic responsibilities that correspond to one's rights
3) necessary rules that give formal protection to rights and highlight one's responsibility.
4) consequences that follow from one's behavioural choices.

Unfortunately, a lot of kids in our society don't have adult role-models to teach them he 'basics' in the home. So when they get to high school, the basic GMRC as we know it, is not 'basic' for them, but rather, it's secondary to the existing set of values which they have decided to adopt. I would call that BMWC = Bad Manners, Wrong Conduct. :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home