Day 16 - Making it Work
I have started to put together a ‘discipline plan’ - which is my planned approach to discipline, so I have a general idea of ‘what to do when’. The classroom is very dynamic, but for me to have a discipline plan will give me an awareness of what I can, and will do, in the instance where I have to exercise disciplinarian measures.I have/will face behaviours like:
- calling out
- interruptions
- task refusal
- students walking around class
- procrastination
So here’s the list I have tried and tested to date:
1. Deliberate Ignoring of Behaviour
This is the tactical ignoring of disruptions that proceed from a student’s desire to gain attention. If no one is paying attention to them, the student with the disruptive behaviour gets the hint.
2. Simple Directions
Simple directions rather than getting involved in long-winded discussions.
“Back to your seat now Mike”
“Paul, This is quiet reading time. Open your book and get on with it, thanks.”
Even the simple “Johnny”, said in the right firm tone, (with ‘the mean look’) can communicate the message.
3. Restate the Rule to the Student
Appealing to the class/school rules keeps the personal annoyance factor down.
“Jane, you know the rule for calling out.”
“Paul, what’s our policy here for school uniforms?” (to a student not wearing uniform). I’ve learned that it’s really important not to get caught up in futile discussions when the disruptor has an audience.
4. Deflection
This is where I acknowledge the student’s frustration/anger/anxiety but requests the student to get back to work.
e.g.
Teacher: “I can see you’re anxious Rachel, but other students are trying to work. If you want to cool off, you can sit over there.”
Student: “This work is just so boring, Miss!”
Teacher: “I can see you’re frustrated Rachel, but that’s the work you have to do for the exam. Not all our work is boring. Can I give you a hand?”
If they won’t settle, that’s when I give them a choice.
5. Simple Choice
Threats are pointless. It's far better to put the student into a context where they have to choose to be responsible for their actions. I think choices are great because its a step towards the student learning about self-control. Choice over ones behaviour is central to self-discipline and tolerance to frustration because it challenges the student to take responsibility for their actions. For example, if two kids are talking in class, rather than saying, "Would you please shut up back there?", an alternative is:
"Patrick and Ryan, if you keep talking loudly, I'll have to ask one of you to move." It's better than saying"I'll make you move" - because I can't actually physically make them move. I can direct, ask, restate the rule and give a choice, but unfortunately cannot pick them up and move them!
Other examples, "You have a choice Mark, you can either sit back down in your seat and carry on with your workk, or I'll have to ask you to leave the room."
5. Question and Feedback
When a student is refusing to do a task, or if two students are talking aimlessly, it’s useful to ask a question to address the behaviour. E.g.
- What’s going on here?
- What are you doing here?
Most students say “nothing” in response to a ‘what’ question. At this point, I’ve observed that it’s better to inform the student about what we heard or saw.
e.g. Teacher: “Johnny, what’s going on?”
Student: “Nothing”
Teacher: “You were throwing books at Paul.”
Student: “But he threw it first.”
Teacher: “Both of you, put the books away, thanks”. No discussion.
OR
Teacher: “What are you doing Patrick and Ryan?”
Student: “What does it look like?” (smart alec voice)
Teacher: Actually it looks like you’re talking loudly over here. What should you be doing?
Student: “Dunno!”
Teacher: “You should be working on your assignments. Would you get back to your work quietly thanks.”
My implied agenda here is, “if you don’t, I’ll come back with a clear choice that may involve you being separated, or stay back to explain your behaviour”.
6. Taking the student aside
This involves speaking to the child away from others, so as to minimise embarassment (and hostility) and gives the student a time to reply. "Look, Johnny, what's up? We can't keep on like this; I've asked you three times to settle down, now what's going on?"
I guess I've learnt that positive classroom management doesn't just happen by good luck. If I'm not conscious of these basic intervention possibilities, the students may as well just walk all over me! :-)

2 Comments:
Hi Jho! I'm very pleased to hear from you that the skills I'm learning now during my teaching placement are transferable especially when it comes to motherhood! Maybe I should go through your blog again and take some notes from your child-rearing experiences? :-)
Funnily enough, I actually find myself applying my classroom management techniques in kids church, and I feel a lot more confident/comfortable in dealing with issues as they arise. :-)
Anyway, only 1 week to go before I'm back there at 242. Looking forward to catching up with you!:-)
Hi Maria, oh my gosh only a week to go, gee that went really quick. It is really sad about your previous post on 23/8..... Why didn't you say something? You should have. Maybe you should talk to the principal 1:1.... It really saddens me that this school is probably goin to continue the way its going forever and a day, and it will just get worse and worse.....until one day there is no more school! Tell them to go check out St. Helena Secondary College....that is a public high school and parents around the Greensborough, Eltham areas are dying to get their kids in there.... they have put a capping on number of students and only kids in the right zone can go there...guess what I heard, parents are selling their houses and moving into the right zone and paying TOP $$$ for a property in the St. Helena Secondary College zoning! Maybe they should start collaborating with teachers at St. Helena College. Sorry, I just can't get over, the lack of response from the teachers! (I am shaking my head now... in disbelief still, this will be on my mind for some time).... thank god I took my son out the local High School 2 years ago....cause that is how Diamond Valley Secondary College is heading....and you know why??? There were about 5 teachers that they lost the year before I pulled out my son, and the school went downhill... I am glad that my son told me about the attitude and how the classroom is managed, so, I transferred him to a Private school (as you know)... doing VCAL....hehehe so,, (ps. NOT just to bludge!) but to learn and get a career pathway minus the UNI! anyways....
It is really quiet at work....Issues with the bit "T" and billable hours! get my drift?! So, I am doing some house keeping....finally got those templates finished.... I made a few more changes to the Test Strategy and Test Report... aligned them all up for consistency..... took me a while, you know how I am ....a bit fussy! It was hard to finish at work cause of all the interruptions and lack of focus on something that is really boring...so I worked on it at home the other day! Anyways, can't wait to catch up with you when you get back to work....(Are you coming back?hehehhe). See you on the 12th?
Ciao, take care, and have fun!
Tijana
Post a Comment
<< Home