Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Continuation from yesterday's ramblings.....

I am a firm believer of the thought that we should never let our problems stop us from making the right decision. My observations from yesterday afternoon’s teacher staff meeting highlighted to me that this is a frame of mind that’s not held by many of the staff at the school - and that is my honest point of view. Here's my take on the outcomes of the discussion from yesterday's meeting:

Q: (Principal) What is the data telling us about our school as a 'healthy' environment for staff and students.
A: (Some teachers) The major areas of conerns for the students of this school are student safety and self esteem. For teachers, the major concerns are in the areas of motivation (individual and school morale), role clarity, professional interaction, goal congruence, effective discipline policy, student motivation, student / class misbehaviour.

Q: Can we address some of the issues (identified in the survey) or are they too great and beyond our control? If yes, how? If no, what next?
A: No response.

Q: Can we transform this school into a place where students are motivated and well behaved and where staff enjoy coming to school?
A: No response.

Yup. To my amazement, the last two questions did not get any definitive 'no's or 'yes's. Just a lot of eyes gazing around the room, and a group of around 20 teachers who seemed to be reluctant to say a word, lest they get their heads chopped off for having an opinion.
Sensing the tension in the room, I kept my opinions to myself, wary of being labelled as the 'smart-alec-thinks-she-knows-it-all' student-teacher. hehehe. :-)

But, thanks to blogger.com and freedom of speech, this is my opportunity to vent. :-)

My understanding is that these teachers are reluctant to speak up because they don't want to acknowledge that perhaps their approach to education and teaching doesn't work. They spent a good 30 mins questioning the validity of the data (which is fair enough), but if the data this year is no different from the results of the past 5 years, then gee whiz, why is it so hard to take a hint that maybe, it just may be, that something is not quite right in this school. Helloooooo!!?!?

When teachers were asked to expand/explain/elaborate on their understanding of the 'major issues' highlighted by the survey results, some had the audacity to make comments along the lines of:
"The smart students are better off in another academic school; at least they'll be able to get an education there. "
"You have to consider the socio economic background of these kids. That explains why they are the way they are."

I find these types of comments are disappointing, coming from teachers, who are supposed to lead and act as role models to these students. To what degree does a student's socio-economic background determine their ability to succeed in school? It's naive for me to say that it doesn't, influence a student's direction in life, but I've also seen and experienced the truth that your
ability to be a successful student is not dictated entirely by your socio-economic background or upbringing. As William Rogers puts it, discipline and classroom management is probably the most taxing part of a teacher's role. Make no mistake about it; a teacher's job is not merely teaching content (literacy, numeracy, science, art, I.T...etc), it is managing a group of disparate individuals so that learning can actually take place. The better part of a teacher's job is to lead, guide, direct and enable students so to govern their behaviour that each student can cope with, even enjoy, their life in that social mix called school.

If there is lack of discipline in the classroom, whose fault is it? Who is responsible for ensuring there's no annoying, aggravating or hostile disruptions? Most of you would say it's the teacher's right?

My honest point of view (and yes, I'm being really honest here) - is that the teachers at this school don't speak up in these meetings, and don't want to face up to the hard truth of the facts of the figures, because they are afraid that it may be a reflection of their ability or (lack of) to manage a classroom.

Anyway, if I were to answer the question, 'Can we improve this school ....', my response would be, of course, 'Yes'. I believe every problem is solvable. I don't know how to solve every problem personally, but that doesn't mean every problem is unsolvable. It just means I haven't found the right person to help me; I haven't worked hard enough on it; I haven't thought it through, or I need to bring some resources to help me solve it. Every problem is solvable.
If this school is going to make progress, they need to get the right mind set to begin with.


If Mr. Principal were reading this blog entry, I would say to him ;-)

"Mr.Principal, I suggest you take the following steps for process improvement:
1. Define your school's problems clearly on paper.
2. Organise to divde and conquer your problems.
3. List all the possible courses of action.
4. Choose the best course of action and get going.

Success in solving the school's problems is more related to the people invovled than the problems themselves. The school may not choose problems that it's students come with, but they (the teachers) can choose their responses. It's all about teachers getting the right perspectives, Mr. Principal."

Sweet.

6 Comments:

At 12:03 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting read.

Shut the school and the problem then goes way :)

JI

 
At 7:37 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Maria,
sounds like you are having fun with your teaching, and that this school is a bit of an eye opener.

I replied to your earlier email but not sure if you are checking it.

Hope you continue to enjoy it -look forward to talking about it when you get back
Nyorie

 
At 10:50 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a very depressing state of affairs in that school. I just hope they can negotiate their way back on track. Its sad when an institution has to crumble because of the ineptness of people who run it.

Could it be that caning (the students, I mean) had its merits. My observation is the use of verbal reprimand just doesn't have the same impact as one swift paddle on the bottom.

The Old Blogger

 
At 2:59 pm, Blogger Mama Maria said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Old Blogger and JI.
I've lost count the number of times I've pondered the thought about bringing back the rod! Unfortunately, with the abolition of corporal punishment in early 80's, combined with media-satiated society, less stable employment futures and family structures, the children of today certainly appear more precocious, more 'street wise' and certainly less submissive to adult authority. As you can imagine this puts a great deal of pressure on the teacher as 'disciplinarian'. I have mixed feelings about the 'rod'. Does the end justify the means?

 
At 6:20 pm, Blogger Mama Maria said...

Hello Brad & Raewyn!!
Thanks for the encouragement. You rock! I couldn't agree with you more that teaching is very rewarding. :-) I guess if I were to use my experiences at this school as a measuring stick for whether or not teaching is a 'good' or 'bad' job to have, then I think I would have a very skewed and inaccurate assessment of what teaching is like as a career. Admittedly, this school is not your typical secondary school for many reasons. (Even the principal has told me to not let this placement cloud my judgement) :-) hehehe

But, For me, a good rule of thumb is that if I have a goal that is bigger than my problems, then there's no problem that I can't solve. I find that the school and all it's problems isn't so intimidating when I think about it that.

Anyway, hope all is well with the little bub and with you both! :-) Not long to go now! :-) Cheerio! Maria.

 
At 11:15 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Maria,
I have finally had some spare time to catch up on your blogs and all I can say WOW! You are an inspiration! And there must be a reason why you were placed at this school. I know of the school you are talking about!!!! EVEN WAS EVEN ROUGH WHEN IT WAS TECH SCHOOL! And I can't beleive the lack of response from all those teachers! Whoo! Now you know why the media give teachers a hard time! These teachers sorry to say it deserve it. They are like u said all caught up in their own little world not collaborating with their peers to really find out what is going on. You can blame parents for lack of discipline and the students social background BUT that is absolutely no reason why a school should be left to just continue in this way. I am shocked as a parent to know that these teachers have no care about providing an environment where students can learn. It is a difficult problem, and your idea about the Values is very important and these values must be made real. It will be difficult though, then once improvements are made, the students will start respecting the teachers and each other and then that will be seen by the outside world and prospective new students and then they will want to come to school. I heard that the Education Minister is trying to implement values into public schools....why didn't the teachers pick on that!
Glad your enjoying the teaching (I wouldn't,I am one of those that just could not do it), and you are an inspiration to most of those young kids there I reackon. The problem is that there is severe lack of quality teachers and to attack and solve a big issue like this, needs to be a team effort..... missing you and those lunch times at China Bar!
Ciao 4 now, Tijana xo

 

Post a Comment

<< Home