Day 24 - Parent-Teacher Interviews
It's my second-last day of my teaching placement, and I've been fortunate (although I'm sure most veteran teachers would say 'unfortunate') to participate in conducting 'Parent-Teacher Interviews' (which I'll refer to as 'PTI' from now on)I have just come home from a 4-hour stint of interviews with the students, parents and my supervising teacher sitting by my side. (PTI actually goes for a whole day for the teachers) It was an interesting experience as I was able to see the students in a different context. With their folks, the students are on their best behaviour and they smile more. Actually, it's a nervous smile that suggests, "Please Miss, don't say anything bad to my parents about me." :-)
Tonights PTI brings back memories of my own experiences as a high-school student attending PTI's. For me, PTI was an awkward experience, probably because I was, for most part, a shy student. I took comfort attending those meetings by staring at my shoes and focussing my attention to the fluff on the carpet, whilst listening to my folks and my teacher discuss my progress. :-) hehe.
There were a few kids tonight who reminded me of my folks and I, but there were also quite a few who bear no resemblance to my folks or I during myhigh school years!
For example, there's this Year 9 kid who doesn't do his work in class and is always distracted (and spends most of his time distracting others). Apparently, this kid was a real whiz in Year 7 and 8, yet in Year 9, his performance has just steadily declined. I gave him a mark of 3/25 for his Desktop Publishing Project (and before you jump to the conclusion that I'm one mean and nasty I.T. teacher!) - I do think his result was justifed. Anyway, upon this revalation, his parents started berating him right there in front of me and my supervising teacher. She seemed unmoved by the whole thing, but I was a bit uneasy and uncertain as to whether I should intervene or not.
It then dawned on me that I do not like being the bearer of bad news! I found it difficult to give parents feedback that their students are struggling/not focussed etc. I felt like I had to say something to appease the parents, but I guess the bottom like was that, as his dad so graciously said it, he should just 'pull his finger out'. :-)
I really felt sorry for the kid, but at the same time, as a teacher, I know that I did everything I could to motivate, support and encourage this student to do his work. I think the important part at these PTI's is that as a teacher, I have to get the student to verbally acknowledge that they will commit to pulling their socks up. In doing so, they are providing me with a verbal contract, with their parents as witnesses, to make every effort to get back on track. I think students need to be shown that they have a choice (of either shaping up or shipping out), and in making that choice, they can take ownership of their own performance at school.
I think to soften the impact of giving not-so-good news to parents, I put a positive spin on the feedback by saying something like, "Jimmy shows great potential in this subject" and then giving some constructive feedback as to how the student can improve.
It's unfortunate that they don't teach you this stuff in university. (At least I don't think it's in the curriculum for any of my subjects at uni.) :-( I think practical things, such as how to conduct Parent-Teacher interviews, should be incorporated into teaching courses, as PTI's require a good dose of psychology, diplomacy and courage. :-)
Anyway, yesterday night, I spent until the wee early hours of the morning marking students results in preparation for today's PTI's. (And that was just for 2 classes!). Just imagine how much more effort is required for full-time teachers who teach multple subjects and multiple year levels.
It's perfect timing that they should schedule PTI's towards the end of the term, because after all the marking and interviews, they're going to need a well-deserved holiday! Thank goodnesss for the Term Break!!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home